Downtown Colorado, Inc. (DCI) is celebrating 2011 National Historic Preservation Month with Celebrating Excellence in Historic Preservation Architecture. Throughout May, DCI will highlight projects and historic preservation best practices that contribute to downtown revitalization across the state. The first project that DCI will feature is the Avery Block rehabilitation project.
The Avery Block is located on the northeast corner of North College Avenue and East Mountain Avenue in Fort Collins, Colorado and is part of Fort Collins’ Old Town. Designed by the town’s first architect, Montezuma W. Fuller in 1897, the building originally housed Franklin Avery’s First National Bank. The Avery Block is a two-story brick and sandstone building and is made up of three distinct irregular structures. The Avery Block is in the existing Old Town historic district. In late 2009, SLATERPAULL Architects completed several conceptual 3-D designs for the Avery Block storefront rehabilitation. In trying to be respectful of the historic nature of Old Town, several options were considered based on historic photos, rehabilitated precedents in the area as well as modern themes which still maintained the horizontal lines and other design guidelines. Palmer Properties, the Fort Collins Downtown Business Association and the City of Fort Collins partnered together and with funding provided in part by History Colorado, State Historical Fund, design for the storefront restoration and building rehabilitation continued.
SLATERPAULL Architects is currently completing construction documents with construction anticipated to start in summer of 2011. The project includes stone and brick rehabilitation, door and window rehabilitation, pressed tin cornice rehabilitation, and the reconstruction of stone finials and the storefront cornice based on historic photographs. With the reconstruction of the storefront cornice, the original configuration of transom windows will be re-introduced. Awnings will be replaced by Palmer Properties independent of this project, but sympathetic to the historic character of the building, and with consultation from SLATERPAULL Architects.
SLATERPAULL Architects is a third-generation architecture practice established by founding partners Seymour (Sim) M. Slater and James (Jim) F. Paull in 1972. The firm’s roots trace back to Raymond Harry Ervin (1900-1969), one of Denver’s prominent architects. Ervin was renowned for his work on the Shangri-la, Denver Club Building, J.C. Penny Building, George Washington High School, and the First National Bank Building at 631 17th Street, which stood as Denver’s tallest building at the time. Today, SLATERPAULL Architects is led by this team of five principals with approximately 40 dedicated employees.